Thursday

This morning, I attended the Jason Kreher event in front of the Palais. Jason is a UGA alumni who is currently working for Weiden + Kennedy as a creative. He revealed that the key to getting into the ad industry has less to do with your networking ability and more to do with your path. Employers look for someone who is doing what they’re passionate about even if it’s blogging or being an influencer. That encourages me because I’ve been interning to a nonprofit as their communications strategist and I hope this will lead me to more opportunities in the future. He also mentioned that the award winners at Cannes don’t ever set out to make award winning ads. Their primary goal is to do what is best to their clients. Awards also help younger teams gain some negotiating power.

After this, I went to the basement in Palais 1 and spent some time watching advertisements. Then I went to the Unknown Soldier discussion where they talked about how marketers can use the same practices that movie makers use to maximize their visibility. While the movie worked with other brands to help promote their content, they strategically chose brands that aligned with the movie’s theme and values. Don’t just involve the brand with the movie, make it engaging for the audience. This made me think of Deadpool 2 and their campaign with Gatorade at gas stations. All their advertisements showed the personality of Deadpool while promoting the products.

After this, I attended the Smart Cities presentation. The speaker introduced WeWork, an online subscription to cars. It’s similar to Airbnb but for people who need to rent cars. With the help of a trusted network, subscription, and the cloud, users are able to rent cars with ease. This reminds me of the Volvo campaign for car subscriptions. I hypothesize that in a few years, this new idea will become a norm and no one would buy cars anymore.

Finally, I attended the We Too talk with Tarana Burke and Jennifer Sey. They discussed their role in changing the culture of sexual violence by utilizing social media. Both leaders gave a way to connecting with other survivors without having to testify their truth. With the simple hashtag, they created an online community of people fighting against sexual abuse. I love this talk because it relates to the work I do back home. These women have gone through incredible lengths to get this movement going and that is what catalyzed a lot of other women to call out their abusers. Women are stronger together so it’s great that people all over the world are able to help support each other.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Commercial Critique

Commercial Critique

Wednesday